A father saved his son from scarring from a scalding cup of tea by immediately running his son’s legs under cold water for over 20minutes. Our chairman and consultant plastic surgeon, Mr Mike Tyler, treated the young boy when he arrived at Stoke Mandeville Hospital. He said,

“This is exactly the type of injury where good first aid with cooling can make a real difference to the outcome. Archie had scalded 5% of his body surface area and typically children with this size of burn may well require a skin grafting operation to the worst-affected areas and some form of lifelong scarring is common.”

Fortunately, Archie’s legs healed well with no scars.

To read the full BBC article follow the link here.